metallic paint faux finishes

metallic paint faux finishes
metallic ceiling

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Redecorating for teens, and tweens

When kids get to a certain age, 11-12 they no longer seem to be interested in "characters" fairys or superheroes any more. I had this dilema recently with my daughter. We have muraled her room 3 times since she was born, her nursery was a circus theme, as a toddler she had Princess room , and then around 7 years old we did a Breakfast at Tiffany's look with Cats. She loves cats. So this year she will be 11, she has Jonas Brothers mania, and wanted bright colors, turquoise, fuschia and purple, How do we make this work? I came up with an India inspired theme. We used plasters in these bright saturated colors on the walls and furniture. The touches of gold, orange and fuschia accents really pull it all together , but the Taj Mahal type head board my husband and I cut from a sheet of plywood and upholstered really says "India Princess" Coming up with a color scheme is the easy part its finding the cohesive elements that make the story work. I look through magazines before I commit to anything for inspiration and ideas.Determining my theme helps too. Albeit India, sports, or just color. A scrollsaw and some good hand tools are helpful too.